Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Losing my favorite mother-in-law

As soon as I heard Jeannie was not expected to live. I knew I needed to go and be there and see her and to be there for my children. Glen and I drove there on Saturday and made it there in the afternoon. Nikki and I went to the hospital and I was able to see her but she didn't know I was there. How could this strong and vibrant women who family meant everything to her be dying! I was priviledged to be with the family during the hard times that followed. Jeannie and the rest of the family still always considered me part of the family after David's and my divorce.
Jeannie would boost my self-esteem by saying "David should had never divorced you" They have always been a close knit family Jeannie made sure of that. Family was everything to her.
All my others kids were important to her too. She was the only mother-in-law that I could really be close to. After Jeannie nobody could compare, they all fell short in my eyes. Not that I didn't love them, but well they weren't Jeannie.

I first meant Jeannie when I was 16 years old. I was just starting to date David. But I had workers experience and was signed up to work with Jeannie as her aid after school. She was the secretary for the Principal at Main Elementry School. Can you imagine having to work for your boyfriends mother??? Scary!!!!! I would much rather be her daughter-in-law then her employee. Not that she was mean or anything. She just expected you to do your best and demanded a good job done. We really hit if off. She was a great mother-in-law, she could be bossy and a little controlling but I am pretty mellow (or use to be ) so we just adapted. We loved to go to garage sales. We would get up early , Wayne would watch the kids and off we went. It didn't matter what it was we had a blast. We would come home with silly things or great bargins as far as we were concerned and that was the whole point of it. We also loved to go shopping. pic n save being a great favorite. She would give good advice. Her and Wayne stood by me when the divorce was going down and after. And I can tell you it wasn't just because of the kids, they loved me and wanted to help me out personally. It was a struggle trying to raise 3 little children by myself and I know I couldn't have done it without their support. When I think of Jeannie I think of Family she was the model of what a mother, grandmother, and mother-in-law should be. Even after all these months its hard to believe she is gone. I have dreams of her being alive even though in my mind I know she isn't. Jeannie was a great Lady and if I could be half as good as she was I would consider it a great accomplishment. Jeannie will always be in my heart and when its my time to leave this world I hope she is on the other side welcoming me there.

1 comment:

NancyM said...

I have to totally agree with you. Jeannie was a wonderful woman. When Chris and Amber were small, we asked her and Wayne if they would raise them if something ever happened to Mark and me. I would have wanted her and Wayne to raise them, if my parents were gone. I always loved Aunt Jeannie the most of all my (or Mark's)aunts...Except Aunt Marian! Aunt Jeannie always had wisdom for us, the younger generation. She taught me a lot while I was growing up, and I still can't believe she is gone.